When it comes to Halloween, we naturally pick our costumes based off of the hairstyle the entire look requires. It’s one of our favorite ways to put our arsenal of Paul Mitchell® products to use! This year, we’re re-creating the looks of some of our favorite characters: Wolverine, Shoshanna, the iconic hairstyle fashionista from GIRLS, and Daenerys Targaryen, the queen bee from Games of Thrones. Here’s how to get our favorite looks.
Image via REX USA
Guys, if you’re ready to channel your inner superhero this Halloween, we suggest Wolverine. Arguably underrated and equipped with monstrous hair, this costume is easily achieved by following these steps.
- Start with freshly washed hair and blow dry a nickle-sized amount of Steady Grip® into your hair to create hold and texture.
- Create an off-center part.
- Squeeze a quarter-size amount of Hardwired® to your hands, rub together to warm it up, and then use your fingers to run the product through your hair from root to tip.
- Comb the hair on the sides of your head up and into place. The top portion should be tousled and messy.
Toss your razor out until November 1 to let your facial hair grow in and finish the look with a pair of jeans, white tank, leather jacket and fingerless gloves with faux claws attached.
Image via REX USA
When we think of daring and intricate hairstyles, GIRLS character Shoshanna Shapiro comes to mind first (for die-hard fans, yes, we’re referring to pre-cute bob Shoshanna.). And that’s what makes her character such a great Halloween costume! To create her twisted, mini-bun style, follow these steps:
- Start by smoothing your hair with the Express Ion Smooth®+--be sure to protect your locks with Hot Off The Press®.
- Create a deep side part on your preferred side.
- Take a 2" section off the part at the front of your head and begin to twist the section backwards.
- Continue twisting until you reach the side of your head, then form a mini-bun right above your ear.
- Pin into place and finish with a generous dose of Exta-Body Finishing Spray®.
Finish the look with a brightly colored mini-dress, a belt with a bow and patterned heels. Voila, you’re party-ready!
Image via REX USA
Game of Thrones fan or not, Daenerys Targaryen is a slam dunk Halloween costume. With her elaborate wardrobe, intricate, braided hairstyles and queen bee attitude, this costume will surely be a hit this year. Here’s how to re-create her gorgeous mane:
- Create a side part on your preferred side, splitting the hair into two main sections. Leave some hair out around the temple hairline. You’ll be creating 4 braids total.
- Braid #1: On the lighter side of your part, start an inverted French braid 1" away from your hairline and low on the side of your head. Once you reach the side-back of your head, transition the braid into a typical 3-part braid. Secure with a clear elastic.
- Braid #2 and #3: Gather the hair at the crown (back) of your head and split it into two sections. Create an inverted French braid down that arches towards the braid you’ve already created. Once you reach the middle-back of your head, transition the braid into a typical 3-part braid and secure with a clear elastic. Repeat on the second section, arching towards the other side of your head.
- Braid #4: With the last remaining section on the second side of your head, create an inverted French braid 1" away from your hairline high on the side of your head. Once you reach the side-back of your head, transition the braid into a typical 3-part braid and secure with a clear elastic.
- You will now have 4 braids down the side and back of your head creating a half-up look.
- Use the Neuro® Unclipped Styling Rod to curl the tendrils of hair around your hairline and the hair underneath the braid.
- Once cooled, run your fingers through the curls to create soft, natural waves.
- Finish with a generous dose of Extra-Body Finishing Spray® and Awapuhi Wild Ginger® Shine Spray™.
Search your local thrift store for a flowing, medieval-inspired gown and cape, and finish the look with a stuffed animal dragon!
Show us your Halloween hairstyle on Instagram with #IHeartPM. And from all of us at Paul Mitchell, happy Halloween!