Gwen Stefani may be best known for her signature red lip, but we’re always drawn to her daring hairstyles. Whether she’s rocking dip-dyed, bold color on the tips of her hair or showing off a perfectly placed coif, we love her style. So we asked Paul Mitchell® pro stylist Samantha Ploskonka to show us how to re-create this gorgeous upstyle and boost our hairstyling game before we kickoff holiday party season.
Sam says: Gwen has always been one of my favorite women to watch on the red carpet for style inspiration. Staying true to her personal style, this red carpet hairstyle is a perfect balance of edgy and classically chic. What I love about it is that it's an undone "do, which means you see a lot of texture throughout the structure! Here’s how to get the look:
- Section your hair on top into a horseshoe and clip out of the way.
- Start in the front of the horseshoe and spray 1" sections with Hot Off The Press® for heat protection and hold. Then wrap the section around the Neuro® Unclipped Styling Rod and clip in place to cool.
- Split the hair not clipped away into two sections (one on top of the other).
- Tie the first section into a knot.
- Next, combine the next section with the first and tie into another knot. Creating these knots will contain the hair and add interest to the back. Continue tying knots until you reach the end and secure the loose ends with bobby pins.
- Drop the now cooled curls from the top section, back brush at the base and fold each section back to create the textured look on top. Use hairpins to place and set, and bobby pins to secure the final look.
- Finish the look with Awapuhi Wild Ginger® Finishing Spray™ for a firm and lasting hold with shine and humidity resistance.
This hairstyle is sure to grab the attention of passersby and fellow party guests this holiday season. Show us your holiday look on Instagram with #IHeartPM. Enjoy!
Taylor deDiego is Paul Mitchell's Web Content Writer and resident style hunter. She spends her days writing copy, keeping tabs on our social channels and testing new DIY hairstyles in our in-house salon.