When you think "style icon" who comes to mind? We admire plenty of style mavens (and frequently try to emulate their looks) including the gorgeous and ever-cool Rihanna. Whether she’s rocking vibrant red hair, a short bob or super textured styles, we’re always impressed. That’s why we asked Paul Mitchell® pro stylist Samantha Ploskonka to show us how to re-create her super chic and sleek ponytail for our upcoming holiday celebrations.
Sam says: This look is ultra-easy. Think of it as a de-constructed, red-carpet-worthy ponytail that’ll work for nearly any holiday engagement. Yep, ponytails aren't just for the gym if you know how to spice them up! Here’s how to get the look:
- Starting with damp hair, dry your hair away from where it normally falls with a 413 or 427 brush and the Express Ion Dry®+. Drying directionally will help neutralize any cowlicks for the sleekest style.
- Section your hair off from front to back (top of the head down to behind each ear, clip the front out of the way).
- Gently back brush the top of the back section, working your way down until the crown has the desired volume.
- Gather the bottom section into a low pony tail.
- Starting on one side, direct the top section of hair back towards the pony tail, smoothing and spreading the hair as needed. Used the loose ends to cross over and cover the band of the pony tail.
- Repeat on the second side.
- Finish the look with a mist of Awapuhi Wild Ginger® Shine Spray™.
This sleek and chic style adds the perfect touch of glamour to any holiday ensemble. Show us your holiday look on Instagram with #IHeartPM. Enjoy!
For more style tutorials, click here.
Taylor deDiego is Paul Mitchell's Web Content Writer and resident style hunter. She spends her days writing copy, keeping tabs on our social channels and testing new DIY hairstyles in our in-house salon.