When it comes to creating perfect, laidback beach waves, Paul Mitchell National Educator Samantha Ploskonka is an expert╌she exudes the laidback, stylish vibe you’d expect from freelance stylist living in Los Angeles. We asked her to share her favorite way to get perfectly tousled beach waves and she shared TWO techniques for wet or dry styling! Here are her tips and tricks for getting the look.
Working behind the chair and on set, I have been getting requests for tousled beach waves for years (and I don’t see this trend going anywhere any time soon)! This style is still relevant and fun because of its versatility╌it can be worn loose and lazy, or vamped up for an evening out on the town in a sexy, Victoria’s Secret-inspired fashion.When I’m creating the look on my guests, I rely on two simple techniques.
TECHNIQUE #1: DIFFUSED
Blow dryer & diffuser
GET THE LOOK:
- Apply a few pumps of Fast Form through the mid-length and ends of towel-dried hair.
- Spray Awapuhi Wild Ginger Texturizing Sea Spray throughout the hair and comb through to evenly saturate.
- To start creating the waves, scrunch your hair with your hands lightly╌after this step, try not to touch your hair to keep the integrity of the wave!
- Using the diffuser on your blow dryer on a low airflow and high heat setting, lay your hair over the diffuser to dry your waves.
- Once your hair is 90% dry, use the cool shot button to lock in your waves.
- If you want additional texture or have a few unruly waves to tame, use the Neuro® Unclipped Styling Rod to add a few extra waves and set with a mist of Awapuhi Wild Ginger Shine Spray.
TECHNIQUE #2: STYLING TOOLS
GET THE LOOK:
- Spray Hot Off The Press onto dry hair to protect your strands against heat and give your hair hold, memory and humidity resistance.
- Create two sections by separating the top half of your hair from the bottom. Pin top half up and away.
- Starting on the bottom half, take rectangular sections from the hair line and do one of two things:
- Wrap hair around the Neuro Unclipped Styling Rod and leave about 1-2" of the ends free. With each section, alternate the wave toward then away from your face until all of your hair is curled. Repeat on the top section.
- For the more seasoned styler (it takes some practice!), experiment with using the Express Ion Smooth®+ to create beach waves. Working with rectangular sections, close the iron at the base of your hair, turn the iron 180 degrees and then slide it down the shaft of your hair. This will create a wave. Continue this motion up until all of your hair is curled, being sure to rotate the wave toward or away from your face on each section. The key to this technique is to straighten your ends once you reach the bottom of your section to add the illusion of length rather than a loopy curl.
- Once all of your hair is curled, use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to tousle the waves and give the style a lived-in look.
- Finish the look by applying 1-2 pumps of Awapuhi Wild Ginger Styling Treatment Oil to your ends for shine and definition. Then use a light mist of Stay Strong hairspray to lock in the style.