Dancer and actress Julianne Hough hit the Emmys red carpet in a textured ponytail to balance the ballroom elegance of her gown then enjoyed the post-party circuit in an embellished bun. Julianne’s longtime stylist and friend Riawna Capri used MarulaOil products to achieve the perfect pony and a second-to-none bun.
To re-create Julianne’s look from the red carpet:
- Prep wet hair with Rare Oil Treatment all over (from roots to tips) for instant hydration, taming and softness. For finer strands, use Rare Oil Treatment Light.
- If time permits, let hair air-dry to create natural texture, using hands to scrunch and build texture.
- Once dry, use a 1-inch curling iron to enhance the texture by creating an “S”-shaped wave on the curls.
- To create the S-wave, bend hair in a C-shape back and forth so that hair forms a wave rather than a curl. Set waves in place using Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray .
- Before pulling hair into a ponytail, build additional texture on the top of the head by creating twists in the hair. Use half-inch sections and twist them back to avoid the appearance of being slicked back, spraying sides down with Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray to keep hair in place.
- Secure ponytail low on the neck (about 1-2 inches from the hairline) then backcomb with a Detangling Brush for extra volume.
- Spray hair all over with Rare Oil Dry Mist and set with Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray before tying a ribbon around the ponytail to complete the look.
To re-create Julianne’s look at the afterparty:
- Remove hair from the ponytail, and apply more Rare Oil Treatment all over hair to add shine and smooth down flyaways before creating a center part.
- Brush hair back into a tight ponytail using the Detangling Brush. Secure an elastic tightly at the base of the neck.
- Create a fishtail braid using the ends of the ponytail, applying bobby pins in an “around the clock” pattern to keep the bun in place. Set with Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray.
- Once secure, pull hair at the crown and on the sides to create additional texture then secure bun with a thin ribbon to conceal pins. Tie in a bow at the nape of the neck.
- Spray hair all over with Rare Oil Dry Mist and set with Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray to complete the look.
For more ways to create sophisticated looks with MarulaOil, click here.