We’re a big fan of the top knot for both functional and aesthetic reasons. So when celebrity hairstylist Riawna Capri created this sleek top knot on Julianne Hough for the People’s Choice Awards, we ooh-ed and ahh-ed aloud. The architectural upstyle was the perfect complement to Julianne’s sexy, yet sophisticated off-the-shoulder dress.
Consider trying this look on this weekend by following these simple steps:
- Prep damp hair with a primer and distribute evenly, Awapuhi Wild Ginger® MirrorSmooth® High Gloss Primer controls hair texture to ensure a sleek blowout for styling.
- Pull hair into a high, tight ponytail and slick back with a strong hold gel like, Super Clean Sculpting Gel® to control texture and enhance the "wet-look" of the style.
- Split the ponytail into two pieces and wrap them around each other in opposite directions to create the twisted top knot formation, and pin hair into place leaving the ends out.
- Enhance the piecey texture of the extra hair by running the Neuro® Smooth over the pieces and using a small amount of Dry Wax™ for control to make pieces pop.
- Secure the top knot with a strong, long-lasting hairspray, Riawna likes Hold Me Tight® as it leaves no hair out of place, and complete the look with Awapuhi Wild Ginger® Shine Spray™ for a glossy finish.
For more style tutorials, click here.
Taylor deDiego is Paul Mitchell's Web Content Writer and resident style hunter. She spends her days writing copy, keeping tabs on our social channels and testing new DIY hairstyles in our in-house salon.