For us, a Halloween costume is all about the hair! Our team picked our favorite costume trends for men and women, then enlisted our pros to show us how to create the hairstyle for each look.
For Women: Elsa, the Frozen Princess
To get the Princess’ wind-tousled braid, you’ll need:
- A volumizing mousse or foam
- A spray-on wax
- A round brush
- A flexible hold hairspray
- A hair dryer and a large barrel curling iron
- Prep damp hair by applying volumizing mousse to the lengths of the hair and roots.
- Blow-dry your hair using a round brush to create allover volume.
- Once all of your hair is dry, use a large barrel curling iron to curl your hair away from your face, making sure to get the iron as close to your roots as possible.
- Next, tease the top part of your hair to create additional volume.
- Lightly spray the lengths of your hair with a spray-on wax to give your tresses some texture, and then use your fingers to pull all of your hair back to the high point on the back of your head.
- Begin a French braid and as you approach the bottom, pull the braid to one side of your head. Secure with an elastic, and gently pull at the loops of the braid and the front section of your hair to give the style a worn-in look.
- If you have fringe, pull your bangs back and set into place with a flexible hold hairspray.
- Adorn your braid with delicate crystals and put on your princess-worthy blue gown to complete the look.
For Men: Don Draper, the infamous ad exec from Mad Men
To get Don’s slick, dapper look, you’ll need:
- A high shine pomade like Barber’s Classic®
- A fine-tooth comb
- Begin with damp hair and create a deep side part.
- Work a dime-sized amount of pomade into your hands and apply to your hair following the direction of your part. Apply the product to all of your hair to get the high-shine look.
- Next, use a fine-tooth comb to smooth the hair into place.
- To create the front swoop detail, place the comb at the front base of the heavier side of your part and then pull hair up and over.
- Complete your costume with a sharp tailored suit, a briefcase and a cocktail glass.
Happy Halloween from all of us at Paul Mitchell!