S.O.S. (Save Our Strands)
’Tis the season for beach days, pool parties and water parks. Translation: sun, sand and chlorine. After moisturizing all winter, it’s time to switch to products that protect, detox and repair our hair from the harsh delights of summer fun. We asked one of our own at John Paul Mitchell Systems® headquarters—a former competitive synchronized swimmer—for tips on how to save our strands while beating the heat. A graphic designer by day and an Aqualily by night, Renée Carmichael knows how to keep her hair blonde and bright.
At a salon: If your hair is fine, fragile or chemically processed, ask for a professional Awapuhi Wild Ginger® KeraTriplex® Treatment
This two-step repair treatment reduces breakage by 80%* and transforms brittle strands into pillars of strength. Step one involves a single-shot vial of isolated proteins (virtually identical to the keratin found in human hair) and step two requires Keratin Intensive Treatment® to hydrate and add healthy, silky shine.
*Compared to untreated hair, results may vary.
If your hair is thick, dry or unruly, request the Awapuhi Wild Ginger® HydraTriplex™ Treatment
This quick treatment is proven to make dry, frizzy hair 82%** softer and more manageable. It contains a rich, concentrated blend of amino acids, vegetable proteins and nourishing oils that hydrate, bind and seal every cuticle to revive parched strands.
**Compared to untreated hair. Product was tested by an established, independent third-party laboratory.
1. Wet your hair before plunging into the pool—if it’s already saturated, it will be less likely to soak up chlorine. Extra points for applying conditioner on your midsections and ends!
2. Avoid wearing a hair tie near your scalp in the water (i.e., ponytails and top knots)—it will tangle and make your strands susceptible to breakage. If you must, wear one on your ends (i.e., at the bottom of a braid), otherwise, ditch it!
3. As soon as you’re done swimming, shampoo and condition you hair. Then apply a leave-in conditioner (like Forever Blonde® Dramatic Repair® ) and detangle your locks with a wide-tooth comb, starting from the bottom up. Finally, gently pat your hair with a towel. Remember that tresses are most fragile when they’re wet!
4. If you can, skip the dryer. Let your hair air-dry, then refine it with a styling iron. This will cut your heat time in half.
5. Care for your hair before and after any damage is done. Shampoo Three® is a great deep cleanser to keep color from turning green. Use it every other week to remove chlorine, iron and minerals. If you have blonde, gray or white hair, shampoo with Platinum Blonde Shampoo™ once a week. Its purple hydrating formula will brighten color, banish brassiness and add shine. Awapuhi Wild Ginger® Keratin Intensive Treatment® is an amazing miracle-working mask. Use it once a week to infuse rich moisture.
Find more hair care tips here.