Curls are back in a big way. Forget the frizz and rock your beautiful natural texture. From the tiniest coil to the loosest wave, every curl can be its bouncy, springy best with the right tips and tricks. Here are a handful of helpful notes for every type of curl.
All curl-girls should follow these prep steps:
- Use a gentle sulfate-free shampoo and hydrating conditioner for easy detangling such as Spring Loaded® Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Comb out tangles with a wide-tooth comb while the conditioner is still in your hair.
- Rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle and lock in shine.
- Gently squeeze the moisture from your hair using a soft towel. Do not rub╌this causes frizz.
Now find your curl pattern and style with these pro tips:
Goal: Minimize frizz and add moisture, moisture, moisture!
- Apply a leave-in conditioner for added hydration and to give the curls a little weight. Start at the ends and work your way up.
- Create four large sections and clip away. Apply Twirl Around® to wet hair section by section to fight frizz and define curls. Make sure all the hair is saturated.
- Refine curls by twisting individual pieces around your fingers, especially around the face.
- Let hair air dry for best results. If you need to blow-dry, be sure to use a diffuser.
- No touching! Manhandling your hair, even just a little, causes frizz.
- If you want to refine natural curls with a curling iron, try a ¾" barrel, twisting hair around iron.
Goal: Tame volume, maintain definition and amplify shine.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner from mid-shaft to ends, where hair tends to be driest. (full circle)
- Choose a product that delivers hydration, definition and hold, like Twirl Around® cream gel. Section hair into four large sections and clip away. Apply product section by section, smoothing it through from roots to ends.
- To keep curls intact, sleep with hair in a big loose bun on top of the head.
- To refresh the following day, smooth a tiny drop of Gloss Drops® into palms. Flip your head over and smooth hands over hair starting underneath. Flip head upright again and gently let hair fall into place.
- If you want to refine natural curls with a curling iron, try a ¾" barrel, twisting hair around the iron.
Goal: Enhance the natural curl pattern and banish frizz.
- Shake wet hair to unlock the wave pattern and gently comb through with your fingers.
- Apply a lightweight curl-enhancing product from roots to ends. For piecey texture with lots of definition, try Ultimate Wave®. For soft, romantic waves, try Sculpting Foam™. Scrunch up the ends and twirl small pieces around your fingers to create more texture.
- To enhance the curl even further, blow-dry using a diffuser.
- Use a tiny amount of Gloss Drops® at the ends to twist and define individual tendrils.
- If you want to refine with a curling iron, try a 1" or 1 ¼" barrel, wrapping hair around the iron to create loose waves.